Tuesday, June 12, 2007

New Homes in Elk Grove

If you live in the Elk Grove, CA, then you have no doubtedly noticed the increase in traffic and new homes being built left and right. If you drive Elk Grove Blvd (EGB as my friend calls it), you'll notice the large community going up between Big Horn, Bruceville, EGB and Whitelock or Poppy Ridge or whatever they call it now (They changed the name around a couple times for the pure joy of confusing everyone).

I was previewing the new homes going up and I walked into sales trailer of Tim Lewis Communities whose community is called Amberleigh at Madeira. The thing that amazed me about this builder is that they are a California Green Builder.

The friendly sales associate gave me information on what they do that makes them a green builder and here is what caught my attention: Solar panels integrated into the roof. I'm not sure how they do it, but it's being done. She said that SMUD will buy back the energy you do not use during the daytime (at the rate they charge customers) and if you need it, will sell it back to you in the evening. This could possibly lower your monthly electric bill.

She told me that they were the only builders that she knew of that was doing this. Hopefully more builders will follow suit and try and involve everyone in the renewable energy movement.

No comments: